Thursday, January 8, 2009

3rd Annual Krysha Chili Cook-off!!



This November, Krysha had it's 3rd Annual Chili Cook-off! The cook-off provides a great opportunity to introduce new people to the ministry- and it's a lot of fun...and work! I participated last year in the cook-off and came in 2nd place. I had high hopes of beating last year's champion and coming home with the 1st place prize! Having established my recipe while back in the great state of Texas early- I was able to turn my full attention to the acutal work of putting on a ministry event that involves so much food, a full program and a wonderful team of volunteers ready to jump and well, dish out the chili! From burning the edges of our invitations, to tracking down 6 crock pots in Moscow (no easy feat- I tell ya') to making sure we had all the rooms we needed rented for the time we needed them- oh, and let's not forget making my chili- it was quite the busy week. The day had finally arrived and we weren't quite sure exactly how many people to expect...which when dealing with food- is a scary thing. I finally gave the signal that the kitchen was ready, my team rolled up there sleeves, donned on our hats and start dishin' out the chili. By the time it was all said and done- we had moved 90 people through our serving line, with only a little bit of chili left. Again, it was great to see a lot of new people! I didn't see much that took place outside of the kitchen- but seeing as we were serving the food- I think it is safe to say I saw every person that came. It was really a great opportunity to serve others and to introduce people to the ministry. A good number of people who were at the Chili Cook-off have begun attending our monthly meetings and even our small groups. As we build relationships with new people- God is providng more opportunities to encourage them in their relationship with Him.
One last thing- I came in 2nd place this year..again! But only by one point :)
The first and second place winners of the Chili Cook-off
just wait until next year.....

No comments: